Wilhelm Braun-Feldweg learned his profession as a steel engraver and worked in the 1920s in the Peter Bruckmann & Söhne silverware factory.
In 1928 he switched to the liberal arts and studied painting and art history at the Academy of Graphic Arts in Stuttgart and Tübingen. After his promotion in 1938 he began his career as a lecturer specialised in skilled crafts at the vocational school of Geislingen Steige.
In 1948 Braun-Feldweg was appointed lecturer in art history, drawing and painting at the State Technical College for precious metal trades at Schwäbisch Gmünd.
In 1950 he took over the course on the “Design and development of Industrial Products” and in the same year published his first book “Metall, Werkformen und Arbeitsweisen” (Metal, Industrial Shapes and Techniques).
After his teaching career he began in 1951 to design glasses and vases for Josephinenhütte in Schwäbisch Gmünd, for Hirschberg cut glass factory and WMF as well as door latches for Wehag and cutlery for W. Seibel.
In 1954 he was awarded a gold medal at the 10th Triennale exhibition in Milan for his “Carina” and “Largo” cup ranges and published his second book “Normen und Formen industrieller Produktion” (Norms and Forms of Industrial Production).
In 1958 he moved to the Berlin College of Graphic Arts, where he became professor for industrial design. He continued to work there till 1973 and three years later opened his own workshop in Würzburg.
Thomas Heyden: Die Havanna – Pendelleuchten von Wilhelm Braun-Feldweg, Verlag form GmbH, Frankfurt am Main 2001.
Hans Wichmann: Industrial Design, Unikate, Serienerzeugnisse: Die Neue
Sammlung, ein neuer Museumstyp des 20. Jahrhunderts, Prestel-Verlag, Munich 1985, S. 491.