The Sayl, inspired by the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco
The Sayl Chair, is designed by Yves Behar and built by Herman Miller, it is light, super modern with no whiff of PVC anywhere, and as environmentally friendly as it is possible to be.
It is inspired by the supporting network of cables and struts of the iconic San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge.
This just happens to be where Yves Behar has located his design studio.
This chair is what happens when you gain inspiration from your surroundings and combine that with the necessity and drive to produce a design classic that has negligible environmental impact. If it looks this good, it has to be that good.
The Sayl Chair is light, clean, simple and a bargain when compared to other design led chairs in its category and with its comfort level.
The stand out feature for us is the exposed spine of the back, it looks exposed, almost vulnerable but it actually shapes itself to suit your body and cocoons you in its support where you need it the most.
Its complexity literally is in its simplicity. Its suspension bridge technology means your weight is distributed across the whole frame of the chair. This means you can twist and move in your seat as much as you want without worrying about losing support.
Main Features of the Sayl Ergonomic Chair
- The Sayl’s unframed 3D Intelligent back lets you stretch and move, striking a healthy balance between support and freedom. The elastomer strands of the suspension back vary in thickness and tension to provide greater support where you need it most along your spine to encourage a full range of seated movement.
- The construction of Sayl’s 3D Intelligent suspension back provides passive PostureFit sacral support, which allows your spine to maintain its natural “S” shape and empowers your body to maintain a healthful posture with less fatigue.
- The foundational shell of the fully upholstered work chair mimics the 3D Intelligent suspension, providing similar dynamic support in a more traditional back. An optional lumbar support is available on both work chair models and provides adjustment over a 10-cm range.
- The Sayl comes with a 12 Year Manufacturers warranty to give you peace of mind(most companies offer 1 – 2 years). This shows how confident Herman Miller are of the quality of their workmanship. If anything goes wrong with the Herman Miller Aeron chair, you’ll get it replaced no questions asked.
- Herman Miller produces Sayl chairs on three continents to reduce the distance between factory and buyer and reduce the carbon footprint of its products.
- The Sayl contains no PVCs and its materials are almost entirely recyclable.
- The Eco-Dematerialised design of the work chair uses less material in more inventive ways to provide ergonomic support for people up to 159 kg in weight.
- Seat height is adjustable between 15.5 and 20 inches high.
Our Verdict on the Herman Miller Sayl Chair
This is a beautiful simple chair that reaches almost design and environmental perfection. It is simple and fun and just works. No hassle, no stress. It is backed by Herman Miller’s famous 12 year warranty and won’t cost you or the environment a fortune. We love it.