The Herman Miller Embody, a chair inspired by your body
It was launched in 2008 and has been a success ever since.
Their design brief for the embody was to look to ways to improve the health of those of us who spend far too much time sedentary in a chair, day in day out, focusing on our work, but as a consequence not moving that much.
Backed by a design support team of over 20 doctors, scientists and engineers, Stumpf and Weber, set out to solve this problem and design a chair that sets the gold standard in spinal support and ergonomic seating.
Key Design Features of the Herman Miller Embody Chair
Pixelated support – Thanks to a dynamic matrix of pixels, the Embody’s seat and back surfaces automatically conform to your body’s movements, and distribute your weight evenly as you sit.
This reduces pressure and encourages movement, both of which are key to maintaining healthy circulation and focus on the task in hand.
Backfit adjustment – The Embody’s back is designed just like yours, with a central spine and flexible ribs. The Backfit adjustment allows you to position the backrest in line with your spine’s natural curve, so you achieve a neutral, balanced posture.
Once the chair is tuned to fit you, the backrest adapts to your movement, adjusting automatically to your shifting positions. Whether you lean forward or recline, the chair’s support remains constant.
Layers of intelligence – The Embody seat consists of four different support layers – each with its own set of material properties.
These layers were designed for airflow, keeping you cool and comfortable as you sit.
More about the Miller Embody Ergonomic Chair
- The maximum weight it can support is 300 Pounds.
- Weight of the Embody chair is 52 pounds.
- Item Dimensions L x W x H – 29 x 29.5 x 43.5 inches
- The Embody comes fitted with carpet wheels as standard, but can be fitted with hard floor/wood floor wheels if required.
- The Embody comes with a 12 Year Manufacturers warranty to give you peace of mind (most companies offer 1 – 2 years). This shows how confident Herman Miller are of the quality of their workmanship. If anything goes wrong with the chair, you’ll get it replaced no questions asked. Further details on the 12 year warranty on the Embody can be found here.
- Herman Miller produces Embody ergonomic chairs on three continents to reduce the distance between factory and buyer and reduce the carbon footprint of its products.
- The chair itself is made up of a high percentage of recycled materials and 94% of it can be recycled.
- This long life (warranty) and high recycling capability of this chair all helps to reduce the environmental impact of owning the embody.
Our Verdict on the Herman Miller Embody Chair
This is a beautiful chair that is built to last, and help support you day in day out as you work from home.
Like all Herman Miller chairs it is backed by their famous 12 year manufacturer warranty and impeccable environmental credentials.
One of the things we have started to learn again in 2020 is to value quality and workmanship over cheap, low quality, environmentally damaging, disposable consumerism.
This chair’s design and use of recycled and recyclable materials totally aligns with that ethos.
To get the most out of this chair you are going to have to adjust it so suit your body shape and working environment. But once you do, you will be good to go, and go.
Check out the latest deals on the Herman Miller Embody Chair on Amazon
- Designed to enhance health, improve focus, and provide ergonomic support for people who sit more than 4 hours a day
- Features: fully adjustable arms, titanium base and white frame, and translucent casters
- Total Height: 42 - 45" | Seat Height: 16 - 20.5" | Width: 29.5" | Depth: 15"- 18"
Last update on 2021-01-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API