Franco Albini (17 October 1905 – 1 November 1977)
Albini read architecture at the Milan Polytechnic where he obtained his degree in 1929.
After working for a while in the Giò Ponti studio, he started his own architecture and design studio in 1930, later working with Franca Helg, Antonio Piva and his son Marco.
In that year he also took part in the fourth Monza Triennale and participated in the furnishings and décor sections of the Triennali that followed.
His relationships with the rationalists Edoardo Persico and Giuseppe Pagano were important to his development as were those with contributors to the magazine Casabella of which he became editor in the immediate post-war period.
Although he had also been active in important architectural works he was engaged in the design and creation of furniture with clean essential lines that used the most diverse materials and sometimes innovative materials.
He dedicated much of his time and effort to setting up and designing exhibitions and museum spaces.
He is also remembered for his work in the field of urban design and planning.
From among his furnishings his armchair Margherita for Bonacina is particularly worthy of note as is the armchair Luisa, the bookcase LB7 and the rocking chair PS16 for Poggi.
He was awarded the Compasso d’oro prize in 1955, 1958 and 1964.
From 1964 to 1977 he was professor of Architectural Composition at the Milan Polytechnic.