Dieter Rams (Wiesbaden – 1932)
Professor Dieter Rams (doctor honoris causa) studied exterior and interior architecture an at the Wiesbaden Industrial Art College.
He took a break from his studies between 1948 and 1951 to undertake an apprenticeship and earn a trade diploma in carpentry. He resumed his studies and in 1953 gained his diploma with distinction.
From 1953 to 1955 he worked with Otto Apel in his architect’s office and collaborated with many renowned architects such as Skidmore, Owings and Merril (US Consulate building in West Germany).
In 1955 he began to work as an exterior and interior architect at Braun AG and in 1956 he started his first assignments as a product designer. In 1957 he made his first furniture designs for Otto Zapf.
In 1961 Dieter Rams was promoted to head of Braun AG’s product design division and in 1968 he became product design director. In 1981 Dieter Rams was appointed professor of Industrial design at the College of Graphic Arts in Hamburg.
In 1988 he joined Braun AG’s board of directors as chief representative and in 1995 was promoted from director of product design to Braun AG’s executive director of corporate identity affairs.
In 1997 he left Braun AG and retired from the College of Graphic Arts. Since 1980 Professor Dieter Rams (doctor honoris causa) has held numerous international exhibitions and is acclaimed worldwide. Among many other awards in 1991 he earned the title of honorary doctor (honoris causa) at the London Royal College of Arts.
Peter Zec (Hg.): Who’s Who in German Design 2001/2002, red dot edition, Essen 2001.